Mickey R.E. Barkett is an attorney practicing in the areas of eminent domain and real estate litigation since 2000. Her eminent domain practice includes representation of both property owners and taking authorities. She has experience in general civil litigation, inverse condemnation, Bert Harris Act, land use disputes, quiet title actions, escrow disputes, contract disputes, foreclosures, foreclosure defense, landlord tenant disputes, business disputes and construction law. Mrs. Barkett has significant jury trial, bench trial and arbitration experience.
Mrs. Barkett has represented hundreds of property business owners in eminent domain cases statewide. She recognizes the intrusive and unique effect a taking has upon each property and its owners. Her engineering background and property development experience makes her well suited for understanding the effects of the taking. Mrs. Barkett has represented all types of property owners such as single family homeowners, farms, corporations with national operations and real estate investors with extensive holdings. Through settlement or trial, she has recovered millions of dollars for her clients. Examples of Mrs. Barkett’s results can be provided upon request.
Mrs. Barkett also has extensive experience representing taking authorities. Most recently, Mrs. Barkett was part of the legal team charged with acquiring thousands of parcels of property in Florida for the installation of an interstate natural gas pipeline. The legal issues were extensive and complex and the tactical challenges of a project this size were large. Most of the parcels were acquired through settlement negotiations. The necessary property was acquired timely and the pipeline was installed on schedule. Previously, Mrs. Barkett also helped Haines City and Kissimmee in acquiring road right of way for road widening, a natural gas pipeline company in acquiring property for a state-wide natural gas pipeline and multiple cities in acquiring electrical distribution facilities.
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum for achieving results for her clients of a million dollars or more
- Orlando’s Legal Elite, 2021 and 2020
- Orlando’s Best Lawyers by Orlando Magazine
Community Activities & Affiliations:
- Orlando Municipal Planning Board (6 years) including a term as Chairperson of the Board
- Orange County Facilities Board (3 years) when it was charged with oversight of building the Amway Arena
- Orange County Animal Services Board (2 years)
- Attorney board member for Monarch Learning Academy (4 years)
- Parent Teacher Student Association for Audubon Park K-8 (current)
- University of Mississippi School of Law, Juris Doctorate
- Mississippi Law Journal
- Awarded competition-based scholarships in law school and undergraduate programs
- Auburn University, obtained a degree in Environmental Engineering
- Awarded a fellowship at University of California in the field of transportation engineering.
- Interned for a professor in Auburn’s engineering department writing a highway construction manual for the Department of Transportation